Steal Like an Artist

Steal Like an Artist

I’m reading a book, “Steal Like An Artist” by Austin Kleon. This is an easy, fun read about 10 things “…. nobody told you about being creative.” Kleon encourages readers not to “throw any of yourself away: don’t feel like you have to toss any o...

Read more

Creating Inviting Spaces

Creating Inviting Spaces

This past weekend an impromptu concert popped up in the park in my new neighborhood. The group that performed at the gazebo brought together musicians from a half dozen bands. They invited neighbors to bring their instruments and join in and one person sang a ...

Read more

Let’ s Have A Party

Let’ s Have A Party

I was traveling a lot over the past 2 weeks and was struck by the power of and things to be learned from community. In Cincinnati I learned that at a Neighborhood Council meeting the neighborhood officer reported that the crime statistics were at the lowest po...

Read more

Turning Deficits Into Gifts

On a recent visit to Cincinnati I went out for a run from a friend’s house where I was staying.  I have some knee issues and now run for 3 minutes and walk for 1 minute. I caught up with a guy who was carrying a plastic grocery bag and picking up t...

Read more

Fish, Philosophy and Friends with Fred

Fish, Philosophy and Friends with Fred

I stopped on a bike ride a few days ago and sat on this picnic table to look at the lake. Within a couple of minutes a man walking by with a white bucket, a tackle box and a fishing pole asked if I would share my table. He needed to rest as he had […]

Read more

Who Cares?

Who Cares?

A key “teacher” in my life was David Schwartz who wrote a compelling book, Who Cares?- Rediscovering Community. It speaks of responses that will lead to better more enriched lives for us all and about the remnants of hospitality that can still be f...

Read more

A Neighborhood Treasure Chest

A Neighborhood Treasure Chest

I love the spirit, smell, and aisles of a small local hardware store. Recently I visited the nearby store in my new neighbourhood: with its worn wood floors, abundant shelves and helpful staff;this store is a treasure chest in the neighbourhood . As I walked t...

Read more

Play Ball!

Play Ball!

With spring emerging I am again reflecting on baseball and our communities. As Opening Day of the new season comes I was thinking of the movement over the past years to define their old “stadiums” with words such as “ballparks” or “park” such as Gr...

Read more

Collecting Neighborhood Assets

Collecting Neighborhood Assets

I have often compared asset mapping to baseball card collecting. Baseball cards contain only assets of each player and usually something unique about them. We all have those gifts, interests, skills and passions that make up our baseball cards. Our neighborhoo...

Read more

Poking Around The Neighborhood

Poking Around The Neighborhood

Urban acupuncture is intended to produce small-scale but socially catalytic interventions in the urban fabric. There are videos of large-scale, often funny interventions occurring in cities such as New York. I was part of an early morning High Five greeting as...

Read more
1 15 16 17 18 19 23