A Delightful Mess

A Delightful Mess

A month or two ago I started a version of the Neighbourhood Zoo that I call the Gifford Street Animals. It has been interesting to see kids and families interact with it each day. I often place a question with the animals to prompt conversations such as &#8220...

Read more

Has Anyone Invited You To Join Yet?

Has Anyone Invited You To Join Yet?

On a morning walk in St.Petersburg, Florida, I stopped by the baseball field where I knew there were games that included players who were all over 50 and some in the 60s, 70’s and 80s. I had visited years before and knew it was a place of radical hospita...

Read more

It’s A Sign

It’s A Sign

There are over 200 “Happiness” signs in trees all over St. Petersburg Florida. They are made of aluminum and fiberglass and placed up high. The creator of the signs believes words have energies and “happiness” resonates more than most. Recently...

Read more

A Magical Sound

A Magical Sound

There is a high glass ceiling in the atrium on the way to my neighbourhood grocery store. On one one side is a pharmacy and the other the grocery store. In the atrium are picnic tables, several large wooden stumps for people to sit and off to the side there is...

Read more

On the Lookout

On the Lookout

A group of neighbours gathered on a Wednesday evening after a storm had come through. The sun was returning and everyone formed small groups and announced what part of the Eagle Place community they were walking. They were all on the lookout. Everyone was look...

Read more

Preparing For Booms Day

Preparing For Booms Day

I was in Cincinnati the week prior to the Labor Day Holiday, or as some refer to it here, “Booms Day”. A local radio station has produced a 30 minute mammoth fireworks display on the Ohio River since 1977 along with a choreographed soundtrack. A week prior...

Read more

Who Is Missing?

Who Is Missing?

Across from St. Patricks Church in San Francisco is a beautiful park where there are gorgeous plants and the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Fountain. The park also faces the Museum of Modern Art. There is so much history and beauty, you could easily overl...

Read more

What Unique Skills Do You Possess?

What Unique Skills Do You Possess?

As I caught a glimpse of the workers moving high up on the severely slanted roof I thought of the line in a movie where the character says, “I have a unique set of skills.” These aerial climbers would be a super interesting conversation in respondi...

Read more

Meet at The Neighbourhood Lounge

Meet at The Neighbourhood Lounge

I visited a Farmers Market last week at The Underpass Park. This park was created 10 years ago and turned a blighted area under a highway overpass into a space for neighbours to gather, play or relax. There are basketball courts, lots of amazing art, a skatebo...

Read more

Stories that Inspire

Stories that Inspire

In a recent post I wrote about a walking tour of a neighbourhood where I learned of Lucie and Thornton Blackburn. The story that was shared by the guide inspired me to find and read I’ve Got A Home in Glory Land by Karolyn Smardz Frost. This book is the ...

Read more