Transforming the Routine

Transforming the Routine

This underpass in Vancouver was often a dark and dull part of many walking, running or biking routes. As I biked through last weekend the routine was transformed into an artistic bright and now a very welcoming part of my route. I noticed others we stopping fo...

Read more

Art of Community Building

Art of Community Building

“The Happiest Days of Our Lives #1 – 6” was created by Ann Weber and is made from cardboard boxes salvaged from the streets and grocery stores. The artist was inspired by the landscape of the San Pedro district of LA. She was also drawn on he...

Read more

My Great Day In…

My Great Day In…

On this Earth Day I recall a community event some neighbours and I hosted several years ago. This event was held in a nearby park and invited people to write, draw or paint how they spent “a great day in Vancouver.” “My Great Day in Vancouver...

Read more

Something To Cultivate

Something To Cultivate

In a nearby neighbourhood I discovered a free seeds container. I stopped and checked it out and there were seeds for all kinds of vegetables and flowers. I met a woman who had picked up some seeds for green peppers and also lettuce. I didn’t need any see...

Read more

Mending

Mending

The Yoko Ono “Mend Piece” exhibit was an interactive exhibit. You were invited to sit a table with others and mend or create something from a table full of broken pieces and some string, scissors and tape. A person at the table with me almost perfe...

Read more

Politics Aside

Politics Aside

I wrote this several years ago but seems more relevant today. I had completed a week of work and was happy to be on a flight home even though it was a long cross-country flight. It was also happening in the midst of a tense presidential election campaign in th...

Read more

It’ll Look Like This

It’ll Look Like This

I met a street artist last week in the nearby skate park and he was holding a can of spray paint and evaluating the start of his painting. There was a can of white spray paint in his hand and several other colours art his feet. I glanced at the artwork and ask...

Read more

Get Outside

Get Outside

This is a post I wrote 2 years ago, but seems even more a timely as we have been navigating through 2 years of pandemic restrictions. Jump in a puddle today. Meander across town. Go for a stroll. Roll among the world. Pace off your frustrations. Tread, stomp, ...

Read more

Where Do You Go?

Where Do You Go?

I met an evaluator several years ago who spoke of an idea to explore the relationships in our lives. His idea was to have a person carry a tiny GPS tracking device in a pocket that would record the path of the person. It could then produce an image of the plac...

Read more

What a Transformation

What a Transformation

I visited this white building last when I was 7 or so years old. Then it was an auto repair shop where my Dad worked. I tagged along when he went to drop off and pick up his uniforms. I liked that this shop was nestled in the middle of a neighbourhood and the ...

Read more